Thursday, September 1, 2011

Books of August 2011

I didn't get a lot of reading done this month. I was actually in the process of closing the used bookstore that I owned so I didn't have that much time. But it's over now, so I can get back into it in September.

Clean by Amy Reed - Sometimes I like to read books about the underbelly of teen life. This book followed five kids through a rehab program. My own teen years were far from this, so I have no idea if it is accurate... but I do think it's interesting. Personally, I preferred her other book, Beautiful, but this one was interesting as well. 3 out of 5

The Lying Game by Sara Shepard - Review Here 4 out of 5

Never Have I Ever by Sara Shepard - The plot thickens in the second volume of The Lying Game. Emma is convinced she knows who killed Sutton and now she had to try to save herself. I thought this book was better than the first one. The mystery gets deeper and it ends on an interesting cliffhanger. If you liked the other one, this one will be no different. 4 out of 5

Wake Unto Me by Lisa Cach - I'm not quite sure how I feel about this book. There were parts that I thought were really good, but it got strange in parts. I guess that's to be expected when you have a love story where the guy is from a different time. I kind of figured out how the love story would play out in the end, though. I also thought the end was strange and Caitlyn's reaction to the headmistresses manipulations was very lackluster. I think this book could be one people like or dislike. I did enjoy it overall. 3.5 out of 5

The Witches of Santa Anna 1-7 by Lauren Barnholdt - This was a bind up of 7 very short ebooks. It's a very common plot so far (the story isn't over and there are at least 13 books so far) with the new girl in school falling for the popular guy that is the object of the mean girl's obsession. In this case, the mean girl is a witch who wants to destroy the new girl. The story got interesting once you get past the need for some editing and the stilted beginning. 3.5 out of 5


I Was a Teenage Fairy by Francesca Lia Block - This is one of my favorite books and I read it every so often when I want a urban fairy tale. 5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...