Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Lying Game review

The Lying Game by Sara Shepard
4 out of 5

The Lying Game is a newish series by Sara Shepard, the author of Pretty Little Liars. The second book just came out this month and this one (the first) came out at the end of last year.

I've actually had this one sitting around since it came out, but haven't gotten around to reading it until now. This has been prompted by the fact that it is now a series for ABC Family that starts mid August.

The book is told in the first person by Sutton but it really follows Emma, her long lost twin, as she tried to find out who killed the sister she never knew. It could be anyone- Sutton's sister, her closest friends- and Emma's determined to find out what happened. She also has to learn about her sister and what kind of trouble she's gotten into with The Lying Game. Because the killer doesn't want anyone to know that Sutton is gone, Emma is easily able to impersonate her sister and starts using it to her advantage.

While I thought this book was good, it was harder to get into than Pretty Little Liars. It dragged for me sometimes, especially in the beginning before Emma started impersonating Sutton. The secondary characters were rather one dimensional and I often got confused about who was who. In a lot of ways I felt the same way Emma did- trying to remember people and things but not really knowing what was going on.

I would also have to backtrack sometimes because I would forget that Sutton was actually the narrator and suddenly there would be a sentence in first person. And, speaking of Sutton, I feel like her lack of memory was used as an excuse to not give her much personality so far. I mean, if she was a bitch while she was alive I don't think that her overall personality would change because she had no memory of her life.

I did order the second one, though. I feel like fans of Pretty Little Liars will probably like this, but not as much. It's got a good mystery that isn't obvious from the first page. I still don't know who it could possibly be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...