Friday, July 1, 2011

Books of June 2011

Spoiled by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan - Review Here 3 out of 5

Peachville High Demons 1-3 by Sarra Cannon - I'm talking about these together because I read all three over a day and a half, so I can't really separate them in my head. The Peachville High Demons is a self published YA paranormal series available in ebook format only. I don't usually read self published books because there is usually nothing that strikes me right away. I'm a sucker for good looking covers and they usually don't have them. These books caught my eye because of the covers and I was convinced to buy the first one because it was $.99 and it's hard to beat that.

After a slow start, these books were really good. I liked all the characters, even Harper. It's not often that I actually like the main character a lot, but I did here... mostly because she wasn't stupid. The story is really interesting as well, though I'm not sure why Harper is kept so in the dark when that doesn't seem to be the norm.

I did have an issue with the first book, but I didn't know if it was a defect in the downloaded book or something that was not part of the book at all. Near the beginning, Harper sees the cheerleaders for the first time. The next scene is her outside talking about ruining her first day. Presumably she dumped something on one of the cheerleaders, but it wasn't talked about after the fact like it was obvious that scene wasn't supposed to be here. It was mentioned here and there later like we were supposed to see it. *edit: I did find out it was a formatting error with my ebook and it was missing part of a chapter. It was fixed, though.*

Books 1- 3 are Beautiful Demons, Inner Demons and Bitter Demons. 4.5 out of 5

Angel Burn by LA Weatherly - Review Here 3 out of 5

The Nine Lives of Chloe King by Liz Braswell - Review Here 2.5 out of 5

Smokin' Seventeen by Janet Evanovich - I still really like the Stephanie Plum books, even though they aren't as good as they were. This particular one had a lot more angst than normal about Stephanie's relationships. I also knew from the beginning who the killer was, which hasn't really happened a lot to me in this series. It also seems a little shorter than normal- big print and large margins that make it look longer than it is. Still, I enjoyed reading it. If you haven't enjoyed the last few, you might not like this one. But if you still like them, this is good. 4 out of 5

Almost to Die For by Tate Hallaway - It was a little better than average, but I'm just not sure I want to invest in the series. Even though there wasn't much in this book, I can definitely see that a love triangle was brewing and I'm not interested in reading about it. Ana's mother and the other witches came off as pretty awful and I'm not sure that was the intention but that's the impression I got. It was also pretty short, which was okay because the one I bought was a clearance book for $4... however it's too short to spend full price on. 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...