Monday, August 1, 2011

Books of July 2011

Born at Midnight by C. C. Hunter - Review here 4 out of 5

Falling Under by Gwen Hayes - Review here 3 out of 5

Wake by Lisa McMann - Review here 2 out of 5

Demon Chick by Marilyn Kaye - Review here 2 out of 5

Shadow Demons by Sarra Cannon - This is the 4th installment of the Peachville High Demons series- a self-published series available as an ebook only. This is one of the better series that I've read this year and this book is no different from the others. The story starts picking up for the next (and final) book so we find out a lot of stuff we didn't know. The only thing negative I could say is that they are really short. Because they are ebook format, I don't really know how they would translate into the pages of a physical book, but they take no time at all to read. Still, with the most expensive of the books being $2.99, it's not bad. I just wish it lasted longer because the story really is good. 4.5 out of 5

Twisted by Sara Shepard - Twisted is book 9 of the Pretty Little Liars series. I thought it was over at book 8 and had no idea there were new ones until the day after this one came out. I had some reservations about continuing the story because it really did seem over, but it's got the same soap opera goodness that the others had. For some reason Hanna seems to get the worst of it, but they all have secrets that they are keeping. We do find out the group secret as well as Emily's personal secret, but Spencer's is still hidden. Overall, if you liked the others, you should like this one too. 4 out of 5 

Chime by Franny Billingsley - I don't normally like the small village in the past with magic books. I was suckered into getting this by the pretty cover. Once I got past the beginning and got used to the language, though, this was actually a really good book. I liked Briony. She was a smart and interesting main character. The secondary characters could have been better, but I thought it was really well done. I figured out what was going on pretty early, but I wanted to see how Briony figured it out. 4 out of 5


Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep - This was a really quick read and I enjoyed it, but it wasn't exceptional. It was a little cliche in parts, too. I did like that there was no super love story in the book, though it seemed like it set the stage for one in the future. 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...